2 Interesting Quotes aaaand a D-Bag…

I really have no commentary to add to the following two quotes that stem from this week’s substantive and highly successful (does the sarcasm punch you in the face?) Annapolis Conference. I just think they’re deserving of some analysis, if not a brain-fart…

Olmert implicitly compares the current state of the Palestinian Territory to Apartheid-era South Africa

“If the day comes when the two-state solution collapses, and we face a South African-style struggle for equal voting rights (also for the Palestinians in the territories), then, as soon as that happens, the State of Israel is finished,” Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told Haaretz Wednesday, the day the Annapolis conference ended in an agreement to try to reach a Mideast peace settlement by the end of 2008.

Condoleezza Rice explicitly compares Arab discrimination in Palestinian Territory to the Jim Crow-era American-South

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice told a closed meeting of Arab and Israeli envoys in Annapolis this week that her childhood in the segregated U.S. south helped her to understand the plight of Palestinians and the fear felt by Israelis, the Dutch representative to the summit, Franz Timmermans, told the Washington Post on Thursday.

“I know what its like to hear that you can’t use a certain road, or pass through a checkpoint because you are a Palestinian. I know what it is like to feel discriminated against and powerless,” Rice was reported as saying.

In other news, this guy is doing wonders for the Israeli people…

Peep the awesome terrorist photo in the background. This douche-bag makes Al-Qaeda look like the cast of Sesame Street. I love it!

13 Responses to “2 Interesting Quotes aaaand a D-Bag…”

1. This guy is funny. Anyone have some popcorn?

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2007, 10:48 am
  2. I think the Colbert Report should get an angry Jewish commentator and he always should end his segment with “In your heart, you know we’re right, and in your guts you know they’re nuts.” Perfect. Being liberal AND a Muslim, I am like, I guess, a total Nazi. Huh. I had no idea. My very identity is an offense to their sensibilities. What’s the word for that again? What was it? Oh yeah, racism, xenophobia. That guy is way scary. I can’t believe people buy into that nutbag.

The TragiComic Mulatto

by Emily Raboteau

The security personnel of El Al Airlines descended upon me at Newark International Airport like a flock of vultures. There were five of them, in uniform, blockading the check-in counter. They looked old enough to have finished their obligatory service in the Israeli Defense Forces but not old enough to have finished college, which put them beneath me in age. I was prepared for their initial question, “What are you?”, which I’ve been asked my entire life. Really, there is no satisfactory word for what I am. “Mulatto” is now considered taboo since at its root is the four-legged beast that results from the union of a horse and a donkey (though I am told mules are smarter than both of those breeds). “Mixed” is a more proper adjective for a cocktail. “Interracial” is too vague, and “bi-racial” is similarly unspecific. Though it chafed me, I knew the canned answer that would satisfy: “I look the way I do because my mother is white and my father is black.” This time the usual reply wasn’t good enough. This time the interrogation was tribal.
    “What do you mean black? Where are you from?”
    “New Jersey.”
    “Why are you going to Israel?”
    “To visit a friend.”
    “What is your friend?”
    “She’s a Cancer.”
    “She has cancer?”
    “No, no. I’m kidding. She’s healthy.”
    “She’s Jewish?”
    “Yes.”
    “How do you know her?”
    “We grew up together.”
    “Do you speak Hebrew?”
    “Shalom,” I began. “Barukh atah Adonai…” I couldn’t remember the rest, so I finished with a word I remembered for its perfect onomatopoetic rendering of the sound of liquid being poured from the narrow neck of a vessel: “Bakbuk.”
    It means bottle. I must have sounded to them like a babbling idiot.
    “That’s all I know,” I said. I felt ashamed somehow, but also pissed off at them for making me feel that way.
    “Where is your father from?”
    “Mississippi.”
    “No.” By now they were exasperated. “Where are your people from?”
    “The United States.”
    “Before that.Your ancestors. Where did they come from?”
    “Ireland.
    They looked doubtful. “What kind of name is this?” They pointed at my opened passport.
    “A surname,” I joked.
    “How do you say it?”
    “Don’t ask me. It’s French.”
    “You’re French?”
    “No, I told you. I’m American.”
    “This!” They stabbed at my middle name, which is Ishem. “What is the meaning of this name?”
    “I don’t know,” I answered, honestly. I was named after my father’s great-aunt, Emily Ishem, who died of cancer long before I was born. I have no idea where the name came from. Possibly it’s a slave name.
    “It sounds Arabic.”
    “Thank you.”
    “Do you speak Arabic?”
    “I know better than to try.”
    “What do you mean?”
    “No, I don’t speak Arabic.”
    “What are your origins?”
    I felt caught in a loop of that Abbot and Costello routine, “Who’s on first?” There was no place for me inside their rhetoric. I didn’t have the right vocabulary. I didn’t have the right pedigree. This is what my mixed race has made me: a perpetual unanswered question. This is what the Atlantic slave trade has made me: a mongrel and a threat.
    “Ms. Raboteau. Do you want to get on that plane?”
    I was beginning to wonder.
    “Do you?”
    “Yes.”
    “Answer the question then! What are your origins?”
    What else was I supposed to say?
    “A sperm and an egg,” I snapped.
    That’s when they grabbed my luggage, whisked me to the basement, stripped off my clothes and probed every orifice of my body for explosives. When they didn’t find any, they focused on my tattoo, a Japanese character which means different, precious, unique. I was completely naked, and the room was cold. My nipples were hard. I tried to cover myself with my hands. I remember feeling incredibly thirsty. One of them flicked my left shoulder with a latex glove. “What does it mean?” he asked. This was the first time I’d ever been racially profiled, not that the experience would have been any less humiliating had it been my five hundredth. “It means Fuck you,” I wanted to say, not because they’d stripped me of my dignity but because they’d shoved my face into my own rootlessness. I have never felt more black in my life than I did when I was mistaken for an Arab.

***************
    This is an extract from Emily Raboteau’s essay ‘Searching for Zion’, originally published in Transition 97.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2007, 10:58 am
  3. An exceptional piece of douchebaggery!

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2007, 4:11 pm
  4. An American nuclear scientist projected that the number of deaths caused by depleted uranium in ammunition fired on Iraq would exceed those caused by the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. “The environment is now completely radioactive,” said Leuren Moret. “The genetic future of the Iraqi people, for the most part, is destroyed.”

[Source: uruknet]

Posted by B | November 30, 2007, 7:24 pm
  5. JTF’s website has a link to a Youtube video (since taken down)railing against Youtube for being ‘Anti-American and anti-Semetic’.

Posted by Mohammad | December 1, 2007, 5:21 am
  6. So when there is a plot to exterminate you that goes unsuccessful for a while, at what point do you stop worrying about it? 3000 years? 5000?

Posted by eduardo | December 1, 2007, 1:53 pm
  7. Nadeem, this guy is a douche. A common, and somewhat ironic, problem is that many Palestinian/Activists either are unaware or ignorant of the fact that the JTF is a fringe, radical, and extremist organization with no mainstream support or influence. Unfortunately, some individuals have the misguided notion that these crazies are somehow representative for Jews and or Israelis. I hope people reading this are intelligent enough to be aware of this. And if ya don’t know.. now ya know chabeeby

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2007, 2:10 pm
  8. Interesting tidbit — This guy was kicked out of and subsequently banned from entering Israel.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2007, 2:44 pm
  9. You people get sidetracked like a skunk under an 18 wheeler.

Remember what this conference was about…

1) Isolate Hamas.
    2) Boost Fatah and Abbas.
    3) Leverage the Palestinian issue to solidify the anti-Iranian front (including splintering the Syrian-Iranian nexus).

Judging by the post and your remarks, this summit was a resounding success.

Olmert may be foolish, but he is no idiot. The language used conforms to bolstering the secular wing of Palestinian nationalism, in contrast to the religious one. It offers hope to the very same people writing this blog – Marxists – necessarily at the expense of Islamists.

All that tells me is that the Israelis have calculated that Hamas and Fatah are no longer interested in a national Palestinian conciliation, and that the two distinct geopolitical entities aim to remain politically and militarily independent of each other for the foreseeable future, if not permanently. Thus, the Israeli role is now to enhance and solidify this division, and to manage its effects in the long term.

At the end of the day, Maale Adumim stays where it is, which means that the West Bank is cut into at least two cantons, each more dependent on Israel for economy, energy and security than on each other. Gaza remains a sweltering rat hole.

Olmert’s comments are unfortunate. Again, and again, this man’s words and policies have resulted in the deaths of Jews and Israelis of all other backgrounds. While I feel pain knowing that Israel is being sucked into playing realpolitik as any other secular state, the strategy employed by Israel, the US and Saudis to manage this conflict into perpetuity is sound.

The only way to change this behavior is to reconnect more Jews with their yiddishkeit. As I’ve said in the past, from a spiritual perspective, as long as Jews are separated from Judea and Samaria, the Palestinians will suffer, needlessly, but with purpose.

Perhaps it is fitting, then, that Chanukah should now arrive. May the miracle of Chanukah reignite the soul of every Jew, that they embrace their responsibilities to G-d, both in Eretz Yisroel, and the rest of the world.

Posted by Victor | December 1, 2007, 7:05 pm
  10. Oh Victor you’re so cute. Thanks for enlightening us once again with your inspired comments. Unlike these Kabobfest whackos, you know nothing of cynicism, hatred, one-sidedness, being a mocker, and cold-hearted bigotry. You’re just a rosebed of kindness and goodness. Where can I sign up to be just like you?

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2007, 7:14 pm
  11. http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,2220544,00.html

The whole argument for the one state solution has died. Even the Belgians, Abunimah’s favorite example cannot make this monster work.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2007, 7:54 pm
  12. a douch-bag, yes. Makes Al-Qaeda look like the cast of Sesame Street? Umm.. no.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2007, 11:00 pm
  13. Victor, you sound like a jerk.

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2007, 5:35 pm