Iraq

Do You See What I See?

I have often wondered how aware international figures are of the depictions of themselves in the media. Has Mahmoud Ahmadinejad seen the Saturday Night Live song “Iran So Far“? Has Obama seen the Turkish reporter talking about him in blackface? Well apparently we have confirmation that Saddam Hussein saw the South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut movie. Multiple times. Against his will while in the custody of US Armed forces. Apparently Trey Parker and Matt Stone, Southpark’s creators, learned about this when they recived a signed photo of Saddam courtesy of the the US Army’s 4th Infantry. For those of you unfamiliar with the movie-musical, which I love, Saddam plays Satan’s domineering gay lover. Ironically, and counter to urban legend, the film had never actually been banned in Iraq. While I am addamantly against torture, this is kinda awesome…

Filed Under  , ,

9 Responses to “Do You See What I See?”

1. you must be a fucking idiot to think that is awesome. i only wish some band of Arabs would take over the USA, destroy the country, plunder everything, start a vast civil war, and then put all the shitty American leaders (who have much more blood on their hands than saddam ever did (and he had plenty)) in prison and make them watch idiotic cartoons of themselves on tv. Hell, for that matter, all 300 million idiot american should be forced to watch arabic shows criticizing the usa. Fuck you, you idiot. That would be fucking awesome!

Posted by hskshdkhds | April 8, 2009, 11:14 pm
  2. I know he must be an idiot! I mean he clearly said he supported the war, all American leaders, and was not talking about a small isolated issue. Way to call him out!!! He clearly would hate to have Bush or the American public be forced to read some Nji Al Ali cartoons. I mean, he totally said that!! What an asshole! Of course the movie itself criticizes the US military and Clinton too, but whatever it is so much more awesome to not have any sense of humor or understand satire!!!! Saddam being forced to watch a movie is totally the same as the torture and human rights abuses at Guantanamo or Abu Ghraib (during or post- Saddam)!!!

Posted by Strawman | April 8, 2009, 11:34 pm
  3. Strawman, there are two issues here. 1) is the substantive issue, 2) the philosophical issue. The substantive issue is that saddam was captured and hanged by a foreign military in a criminal war, and forced to do anything, regardless of what it was. I get the impression that the author of this post, nimr, is probably on the same page as me on this issue. but the philosophical issue is that one person can find something "kinda awesome" such an act. This reaction is likely because nimr relates more to the enjoyment nimr feels at watching the film, than rejects the type of sick mind required to think up the idea of making saddam watch south park, while captured and under the control of a foreign military. This second point was the one i was trying to expose with my previous comment.

Posted by hskshdkhds | April 9, 2009, 1:21 am
  4. I will ignore the harangue of your 1st comment, but you raise a valid point with this one. I think it is in fact a disrespect to those treated so horribly by Saddam and the Americans to equate being forced to watch a movie with the kind of torture they had to endure. Philosophically that seems to combine any number of logical fallacies. To not appreciate any level of relativism or degree is disingenuous. This kind of radical absolutism is the hallmark of any number of reactionary fundamentalist movements. Not the best rhetorical company to be keeping. Also, it is easily possible to be against torture while enjoying the inanity of the situation. I am against shoe throwing, large ships sinking, or idiot body builders winning office, but i can appreciate Bush getting a shoe thrown at him, the titanic sinking or Schwaznegger getting elected for their karmic/ironic/what-a-crazy-world values. Furthermore, allow me to take the opportunity to elaborate on the movie for those that have not seen it yet. The Southpark movie uses a ridiculous war with Canada to lampoon the US military and America's interventionist predilections. Part of what makes the whole incident so ironic is that the depiction of Saddam was at least partially a commentary on how he had been made into a bogeyman in US political discourse. A rather prescient critique in light of what happened only a few years after the movie was made, no? I mean, he was Satan's gay lover, to read that as anything but a commentary on the US seems a bit obtuse.

Posted by Nimr | April 9, 2009, 2:02 am
  5. Seriously I can't watch South Park without thinking of Korn kids, ravers and everything else that I hated in jr high. Is that fair? Maybe not. Was the show ever good enough for me to care? No. This just reminds me that Iraqi TV also airs propaganda saying insurgents were gay, and six gay people were shot in the last couple of weeks. Does anyone remember that animaniacs cartoon he was in? Man I loved that show so much when I was little and watching it now is so disappointing.

Posted by Nadia | April 9, 2009, 12:53 pm