A few days ago, Egyptian blogger Wael Khalil, ironically featured here in Al-Ahram, exposed said paper, which is largely viewed as Egypt’s, or perhaps the Arab world’s paper of record, for doctoring a picture from the Whitehouse bi-annual middle east peace talks re-launch photo opp. The doctored image shows Mubarak as commanding, walking a head of the pack, just like an image conscious dictator who dies his hair at the age of 82 would.
The real image, on the other hand, showed Mubarak on the margins, behind, distant, and insignificant to the center of events. Which is also explained by the fit he through earlier, when he insisted on making a public statement after Obama, Netanyahu, and Abbas, as he was unhappy with being just an ornamental fixture, like his buddy the King of Jordan.
The editor in chief of Al-Ahram, wrote an op-ed explaining the paper’s action, although not admitting a faux pas, here are the top ten reason’s he used to justify his actions:
10. Leaders were recast in alphabetical order
9. Age before beauty, although we did not have to photoshop his hair.
8. It was done to symbolize Mubarak’s significance to the Palestinian cause.
7. What’s the big deal? Mubarak is always ahead, look at the elections.
6. Picture is not doctored; this is another one taken a second later after Mubarak moved up on his magic carpet.
5. Actually, the picture is doctored, but not nearly as much as Mubarak himself.
4. No clown left behind
3. Did you see the color sequence of ties in the original? It’s hideous.
2. It was not meant to hide Mubarak’s insignificance to the summit, rather conceal his frailty and inability to keep pace with 60-year young bucks.
1. Move Bit*h…Get Out of the way
[Tarboush tip: Diana, Hanitizer, Sana, Chaim]Filed Under Egypt, fayyd, KABOBsnark, media, satire