Egypt

Is Mubarak Delusional or Calculated?

By Andrew

Hundreds of thousands of protesters in the port city of Alexandria and Cairo’s Tahrir Square stood in disbelief as Hosni Mubarak, their defiant president, refused to resign during a speech he made late last night. Many protesters, news outlets, and analysts alike expected Mubarak to relinquish his post Thursday evening, which would have represented an important first step in establishing a democratic Egypt. However, despite a three-week-long uprising that has brought millions of people together under one revolutionary banner, Mubarak refuses to heed the people’s call and leave the presidency.

Now, reports indicate that a massive protest is planned for today (Friday), which will undoubtedly unleash the anger, pain, and frustration Egyptians feel as a result of Mubarak’s unapologetic ambivalence. Mubarak’s tone during yesterday’s speech was intentionally dismissive of protesters’ demands and the legitimacy of the revolution; he clearly sought to provoke a strong, negative reaction from the people. His provocative language – several times during his speech, Mubarak alluded to the idea that calls demanding his resignation were a result of foreign influence – can only mean one of two things. On the one hand, it’s possible that Mubarak is totally delusional, and believes strongly that resigning from the presidency before his term “ends” in September would be a reckless abdication of his responsibilities.

On the other hand, it is far more likely that Mubarak and the ruling military elite are trying to bait the protesters into changing the tone of the uprising. Until now, protesters’ demands for Mubarak to resign have been just as vociferous as their demands for widespread economic and political reform. By remaining in power, however, Mubarak stands to further enrage protesters and make the revolution more about him than about true democratization. Isn’t it possible that Mubarak is trying as hard as he can to make the uprising turn violent so that the military elite has a “legitimate” pretext for crushing the revolution? Despite the fact that the army has a longstanding tradition of having never turned its weapons against Egyptians, there is evidence that the army has already antagonized protesterst since the largely peaceful, cooperative, and popular uprising began three weeks ago.

According to the Guardian, the Egyptian military has been arresting thousands of protesters across Egypt and subjecting some of them to brutal forms of torture. Although torture has been a favorite tool of current Vice President Omar Suleiman and the notorious State Security Intelligence (SSI) agency, nobody previously associated such practices with the army. However, some detained protesters have alleged that army officers subjected them to electric shocks, extensive beatings, and other cruel measures.

Ashraf, an Egyptian that was arrested by soldiers while bringing medical supplies to a makeshift clinic established to treat those that had been attacked by pro-Mubarak thugs, claims that while he was detained:

“[The army] put me in a room. An officer came and asked me who was paying me to be against the government. When I said I wanted a better government he hit me across the head and I fell to the floor. Then soldiers started kicking me. One of them kept kicking me between my legs. They got a bayonet and threatened to rape me with it. Then they waved it between my legs. They said I could die there or I could disappear into prison and no one would ever know. The torture was painful but the idea of disappearing in a military prison was really frightening.”

Ashraf was released after spending 18 hours in a cramped cell with other protesters, and was told not to return to Tahrir Square. It appears that the army is targeting activists, some of whom were political prisoners before the revolution, and organizers of the uprising. Such repression will only intensify – and make less headlines – if the protests become violent and destructive, a totally reasonable scenario considering the fury people feel over Mubarak’s refusal to leave. The only recourse is for more people from across Egypt’s socioeconomic, professional, religious, and geographical spectrums to join the revolution. The voices of Egypt’s masses cannot be drowned out by the military elite’s intransigence. The sooner Mubarak, Suleiman, and Egypt’s Supreme Council of the Armed Forces realize this, the better.

Filed Under  , ,

34 Responses to “Is Mubarak Delusional or Calculated?”

1. Nukka is neither, he's gone.

Posted by Sana | February 11, 2011, 4:23 pm
    • A 4.5 rating out of almost 200 reviews… (I know you haven't done that lately.) Finally, it's been stated that it draws 1,000 watts while printing. For that reason, I wonder about its long-term durabilty. I like to use name brand ink in my printer , Canon is quality this is the best price for it Nothing to write home about. http://tekui.teklib.org/374/coq10-lyme-disease/ 3.5 minutes in my microwave seems to do the trick. there is nothing more to say.. will definitely buy again or I'll try bsn' no xplode2.0 I've read some reviews stating that people are concerned with their liver enzymes. That way the cats could smell it through the window. I wanted a basin application and was lucky to find this item on Amazon (would never have found it otherwise)……Thanks Amazon. To keep things short and sweet, I expected more from Activision and this franchise. http://www.facebook.com/

Posted by Jennifer | May 17, 2014, 11:09 am
  2. Get iphone apps This is a important you decide to do your work. Thanks to your work. I will be a huge supporter of the web site!

Posted by Top iphone | February 11, 2011, 9:09 pm
  3. May the Egyptians have many days coming that feel as nice for them as this one does. May their military also help them to build a FREE, progressiv­e and peaceful society they're ALL proud of.

Posted by Shena | February 11, 2011, 10:40 pm
  4. I heard on CBS News from an interviewee that it maybe possible Mubarak is trying to get violence started from the protesters so that he can say "Well, I had no choice! I had to fight back!"

This will not end well…

Posted by Bowmanave | February 13, 2011, 1:53 am
  5. I am very interested in your article, I think your articles are so interesting that I need more information, go is berkaya and I will always support you. I say many thanks to you.

Posted by Simar | February 14, 2012, 7:37 am
  6. well done job by the blogger, this is really informative, i have also shared to others, your analysis is very good and you have written everything in detail.

Posted by Samsung mobile | November 7, 2012, 4:21 am
  7. This post regarding the recent political changes in Egypt was a good read. What I don’t understand is why Hosni Mubarak refused to resign. He should take responsibility and should show the guts to resign. Keep up the good work.

Posted by read more here | June 19, 2013, 7:29 am
  8. I wish that Egypt will know better times. Currently, more than a year and a half after Mubarak resigned, the unemployment rates raise to new peeks, and economy is in bad situation ever. Egypt needs the help of the world now, just as the Marshal plan after world war 2.
    I hope that the world will give a hand.

Posted by Read about Health | June 22, 2013, 6:10 pm
  9. s certainly a great deal to know about this issue. I love all the points you've made.

Posted by veterinar ordinacija | July 30, 2013, 5:25 pm
  10. I wonder if they'll ever release mubarak

Posted by Hair Removal | September 18, 2013, 12:06 pm
  11. Ashraf was released after spending 18 hours in a cramped cell with other protesters, and was told not to return to Tahrir Square. It appears that the army is targeting activists…

Posted by Kyle Leon | September 26, 2013, 7:18 am
  12. I do wish there were more people like you around on the interwebs. Not many people are careful with their words, including myself sometimes. I have written things I would love to take back, goo work, keep it up

Posted by baju menyusui | November 12, 2013, 11:58 pm
  13. The third common type of delusion is the delusion of persecution. Here the individual is constantly on guard against his “enemies”–he feels that he is being spied upon and plotted against, and is in mortal danger of attack. delusions of persecution may accompany delusions of grandeur–the patient is a great man, but he is opposed by evil forces.

Posted by delusions | January 4, 2014, 1:35 am
  14. This gonna be fun lots of people will comment and provides information that make this page so interesting. Thanks for giving us opportunity to post in your blog.

Posted by sandal fitflop | January 10, 2014, 3:16 am
  15. Yes i am totally agreed with article and i want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.

Posted by www.dimiwise.gr | February 19, 2014, 9:22 am
  16. Foods Qaeda Fat

Posted by Customized Fat Loss | February 23, 2014, 9:18 am
  17. It kind of feels that you're doing any distinctive trick.

Posted by χημική δίαιτα | March 17, 2014, 2:16 pm
  18. it is far more likely that Mubarak and the ruling military elite are trying to bait the protesters into changing the tone of the uprising. Until now, protesters’ demands for Mubarak to resign have been just as vociferous as their demands for widespread economic and political reform. By remaining in power, however, Mubarak stands to further enrage protesters and make the revolution more about him than about true democratization. Wonderful Article Keep it up great work i really like your Article Thanks for sharing Great Article.groove cruise

Posted by john | April 17, 2014, 5:55 am
  19. Hi,Mubarak is a frantic and determined man. The disbanding of the police last Friday was a calculated endeavor to make disorder and threaten the people. It should be the ideal state wrongdoing. The police abruptly vanished deserting even the detainment facilities which are controlled by the Ministry of Interior. With the doors tossed totally open, the criminal components were let detached as the state controlled media began spreading false gossipy tidbits about crazy natives being struck in their homes. The hoodlums were joined by a few parts of the police compel that were 'on an excursion.' They clearly weren't nitwits. As opposed to utilizing the security void to strike condo and homes, they focused on the national exhibition hall, upscale retailers, the gold business and shopping centers.Thanks to all!!Peggy Marchildon…..

Posted by majakel | May 18, 2014, 3:12 am
  20. Most paper towels, even the higher end brands, would have been clumps of wet goo after 8 hours sitting in hot soapy water, but not this one! Highly recommended if you want a dense, super absorbant, WHITE paper towel at a reasonable price in bulk, yet with the softness of cloth. This product is amazing and you can take it in the tub. A very recommended read! Atherogenic Properties Of Liposomal Glutathione I get the package, super excited, i open it and use it. I wish you all positive experiences with this and ladies, believe in it and it will become true. After seeing her for the 5th time get her leg stuck in the crib we decided to try the Mesh Crib Liner and it has worked wonderful. Best L-glutathione For Skin Whitening glutathione Glutathione Iv Video read more

Posted by Blackledge | May 25, 2014, 8:33 am
  21. You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site. https://archive.org/details/WhatMenSecretlyWantJa

Posted by Tony | June 23, 2014, 8:14 am
  22. Despite the fact that the army has a longstanding tradition of having never turned its weapons against Egyptians, there is evidence that the army has already antagonized protesterst since the largely peaceful, cooperative, and popular uprising began three weeks ago.zorpia

Posted by zorpia | June 25, 2014, 3:42 pm
  23. I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation t hat's at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best posting.

Posted by sitesgoogle | July 7, 2014, 9:33 am
  24. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post

Posted by archive | July 24, 2014, 6:54 am
  25. I always want and love reading quality contents. Keep sharing. Best wishes for your further efforts. Well done

Posted by webpage | August 4, 2014, 8:20 am
  26. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!

Posted by my review | August 6, 2014, 9:08 am
  27. nice blog I have read your article very interesting and inspiring kemaluan keluar nanah cara menghilangkan kutil kemaluan wanita

Posted by roby | August 15, 2014, 10:54 pm
  28. You're in point of fact a just right webmaster.

Posted by check this | August 29, 2014, 8:05 am
  29. I must say that overall I am really impressed with this blog. It is easy to see that you.

Posted by Webpage | September 3, 2014, 8:20 am
  30. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. A very awesome blog post. https://archive.org/details/HowToLoseWeightWithHy

Posted by Nerman4 | October 20, 2014, 8:51 am
  31. You are a very professional blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward more of your excellent articles. http://www.nolimitly.com/2014/10/natural-cure-for

Posted by Jim Garder | October 28, 2014, 8:23 am
  32. I am always searching online for articles that can help me refresh my mind and intrigue my thoughts.There is obviously a lot to know about this. http://bloodpressuresolutionreviewkenburge.blogsp

Posted by Rachel8129 | November 21, 2014, 11:16 am
  33. Thanks for sharing this valuable information. Actually, I am pretty much impressed with your writing too. http://www.thefashionlife.gr/2014/12/tzin-pantelo

Posted by Eleni391 | December 19, 2014, 2:23 pm