Arab World

Contributed by Mehrunisa Qayyum

“None of the MENA countries rank in the top 50,” according to the Reporters Without Border 2011-2012 ‘Press Freedom Index’.

This trend alone, calls for a conversation between media, civil society and emerging citizen journalists. For those who are wary of outside non-MENA based organizations judging MENA countries, I have an indigenous source too.  Here’s the sobering factoid: the Amman-based Center for Defending the Freedom of Journalists (CDFJ) conducted its survey on press freedom and found that only 2 percent of the 500 or so journalist said that they were entirely satisfied with the state of press freedom in the kingdom.

I needed to hear some good news, the bad is just so typical.

Somewhere between the optimism and the pessimism, the back and forth sentiments suffocate my need for a reality check.  I need to understand how people can succeed or inspire despite living in environments (like Syria, Bahrain, Afghanistan, Iran, and Turkey) that present challenges in expressing ideas, opinions, and limit media freedom.

How do people become agents of influence when media outlets determine when, how and who hears their narratives?  The who, what, when, and how determines impact.  If someone’s narrative impacts, then they represent influence. Right?

The good news is that Time Magazine announced its ‘Most Influential People for 2012’.  In particular, PITAPOLICY honed in on those from the pita-consuming region, listed below, and are among the ‘Most Influential’ (this is in no particular order):

1. Ali Ferzat-Cartoonist, Syria
  2. Samira Ibrahim-Plaintiff, Egypt
  3. Manal Al-Sharif-Activist, Saudi Arabia
  4. Maryam Durrani-Broadcaster, Afghanistan
  5. Rached Ghannouchi-Politician, Tunisia
  6. Asghar Farhadi-Filmmaker, Iran
  7. Ali Babacan & Ahmet Davutoglu-”Neo-Ottomans”: Deputy Prime Minister, Foreign Minister, Turkey
  8. Hammad bin Jassem bin Jaber al-Thani-Prime Minister & Foreign Minister, Qatar
  9. Ayatullah Ali Al-Khamenei- Supreme Leader, Iran
  10. Iftikhar Chaudry-Chief Justice, Pakistan

The terms “influencer” or “influential” connote a heavy judgment.  Simply put: Time’s yearly list not too far off from high school superlatives listed in a yearbook.  Ideally, my personal heroes would be counted among the 100.  However, in reality, whether we agree or not, the controversial exercise of voting “top 100 Influencers” provokes discussion.  On a less cynical note, the list inspires a discussion on what I would argue is the root cause for determining influence: Freedom of the Press.

Freedom of the press–or the limits imposed–pushes certain narratives forward for the less influential (audience) to accept or reject.  Conversely, the audience enjoys limited power through a feedback loop in repeating the narrative of the supposed influencer.  Each media outlet that picks up the narrative, and hits repeat, reproduces the cycle.  Voila: journalists turned bloggers note what’s ‘trending’ and repeat the narrative.  Twitter users, as many have argued, choose to amplify the narrative or amend the narrative.

Before you know it: Time Magazine puts a call out to its audience simplifying a year of initiative to about 100 or so top narratives.  In the end, the top narratives become influencers.  This may be good, if you are hero to a society. This might be bad, if you start applying relativism and algorithms to check on the list. This is one interpretation. Other interpretations are welcome.

The bad news is that Freedom House released its “Freedom of the Press 2012” report, which focused on the Middle East & North Africa region (MENA) entitled, “Breakthroughs and Pushback in the Middle East” compiled by Karin Deutsch Karlekar and Jennifer Dunham.  Specifically, the index assesses the 1) legal, 2) political, and 3) economic factors that influence print, broadcast and internet freedom.

Spoiler alert for the MENA region: more pushback is not necessarily a good thing in this case because censorship and press freedom still permeate many of the countries. When Saudi Arabia scores an 84, as it did this year, KSA didn’t earn a B- rating on its report card.  For this index, the higher the score, the worse the performance.

True, the “Breakthrough” highlights how “In 2011, Libya, Tunisia, and Egypt improved to Partly Free as media freedom expanded with the fall of longtime dictators.”  But I remember how a seasoned Egyptian-American journalist, Hanan Elbadry, worried out loud that self-censorship in Egypt has increased despite the revolutionary spirit, at a media panel in Washington, DC.  As internet and mobile phone use balloons in the region, many MENA governments are adopting new means for controlling technologies that facilitate media freedom.

This region’s media environment underwent huge improvements in 2011, but it remained the worst-performing part of the world. Libya (60), Tunisia (51), and Egypt (57), all moved from ‘Not Free’ to ‘Partly Free’. Great news: recently Juan Cole described

Image from Roibal.com

Tunisia is “now freer than the US”.   However, Bahrain (84 points) and Syria (89 points) both experienced declines in press freedom amid crackdowns on protest movements. Conditions in Iran are still extremely restrictive, with 42 journalists behind bars–the most of any country, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists.

On May 3rd, Bahrain revoked visas for an NGO (Freedom House) to conduct a site visit to follow up on previous recommendations.  The recommendations were not implemented.  Ironically, UNESCO’s World Press Freedom Day celebrations began on May 3rd–in the MENA country of Tunisia.

I do not contest the report’s finding that MENA press sees a “significant net improvement”, but I see that for every Egypt moving forward in media freedom, there’s a Bahrain or two moving backward–and neutralizing the progress. Trends like this remind me that some of the top ‘Time Most Loveable Influencers’ in the region have been freely able to express themselves because they have emigrated from those environments limiting freedom expression, like Mohsen Makhmalbaf, among other great filmmakers.Those who were not so lucky and paid with their livelihoods: the Assad regime took revenge on Political Cartoonist, Ali Farzat, by breaking his hands.

Others are able to express themselves in spite of the environment–like Hammad binn Jassem bin Jaber al-Thani, who literally influences media since he is part of the three factors of production mentioned above: legal, political, and economic influence.

418 Responses to “Influence And Freedom”

1. I’ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Google. You have made my day!

Posted by www.nolimitly.com | December 14, 2014, 10:42 am
  2. Thanks for sharing this valuable information. Actually, I am pretty much impressed with your writing too. http://www.thefashionlife.gr/2014/12/tzin-pantelo

Posted by Eleni391 | December 19, 2014, 2:21 pm
  3. I forgot to mention that this post has been shared by me on several blogs because it's a useful one and I decided to share it with my friend on facebook as well. Thanks for sharing such a nice post. Keep it up. bubblegum casting

Posted by Muneer | January 1, 2015, 12:00 pm
  4. Great article

Posted by maxigra opinie | January 6, 2015, 1:43 pm
  5. Thanks for sharing

Posted by przedłużyć stosunek | January 7, 2015, 2:52 pm
  6. his post is super post and very informative for me. Thanks for shearing such a sweet post. ,..Creare site

Posted by Muneer | January 12, 2015, 3:39 pm
  7. This is a very comprehensive article, my friend. It's got all the texture that a good quality article has. It's got the info that everyone needs. It's a really awesome article!! Keep it up!!bubblegum casting

Posted by Muneer | January 13, 2015, 7:57 am
  8. This may be good, if you are hero to a society. This might be bad, if you start applying relativism and algorithms to check on the list.

Posted by info-anehdunia | January 19, 2015, 3:35 am
  9. 411.ca is a FREE online information service for Canadians. More than 1.6 million people use 411.ca every month to find people & businesses in our White Pages and Yellow Business Pages.FIFA Blog

Posted by Muneer | January 25, 2015, 4:13 pm
  10. Wine became a staple of "girls nights" and conversation-heavy dinners during college, and office happy hours once I joined the workforce. When I moved apartments in May, the home decor purchase I was most excited about was the wall-mounted wine rack… Fitness Kickboxing

Posted by Muneer | January 29, 2015, 4:31 am
  11. We are the locksmiths in Perth that locals trust. Our mobile workshops are available 24/7 for your convenience just in case you find yourself locked out of your Home, Car or Business. If your keys have been lost or stolen we can gain access and recode your locks for you immediately. Mi40x Scam

Posted by Muneer | February 7, 2015, 10:30 am
  12. Mate, this is shockingly great work from you. Totally staggering! The data here on this subject is totally invaluable. There is no article at this moment with data, comparable to this one. You've at the end of the day inspired every one of us, sir! Waxing Center in Manhattan

Posted by Muneer | February 13, 2015, 7:06 am
  13. Get the free chips of big fish casino here at zero effort.

Posted by website | February 17, 2015, 11:43 am
  14. Very efficiently written story. It will be useful to anybody who employees it, including me. Keep up the good work – can’t wait to read more post

emotional support animal

Posted by @goldsevice | April 10, 2015, 6:04 pm
  15. What the most primary and obliging flightiness is the Market Conditions Report. I think it is extraordinarily basic thing.

Posted by Thomus Rose | April 23, 2015, 9:40 am
  16. The European: In contrast to Google or Facebook, you are not dealing with personal data at the moment Play here, but the thrust seems to be going in that direction.

Posted by gun | April 26, 2015, 4:54 am
  17. Thanks for this awesome post. It is filled with knowledge and information. This post is really good. Thanks for this!

Posted by Jasa Iklan Facebook | May 18, 2015, 10:42 am
  18. interesting post by the website

Posted by moviebox | June 10, 2015, 3:40 pm
  19. Great info! I recently across your blog and have been reading along.

Posted by Easy Kindle Riches | June 16, 2015, 2:22 pm
  20. Wow what a deals of you.and your team. thanking you for share this story.

Posted by Godaddy discount | July 4, 2015, 3:54 am
  21. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.
    Business

Posted by jamesbrown | July 20, 2015, 3:55 pm
  22. I just wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice info you've got right here on this post. I will probably be coming back to your weblog for more soon.

Posted by muscle gaining | October 9, 2013, 1:02 am
  23. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on a look out for such information.So luck to come across.

Posted by total six pack ans | October 9, 2013, 1:03 am
  24. Superb article, I really appreciated with it, this is fine to read and valuable pro potential, I really bookmark it, pro broaden read. Appreciation pro sharing. I like it

Posted by turbulence training | October 9, 2013, 1:03 am
  25. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting.

Posted by ebay wholesale | October 9, 2013, 1:04 am