Culture

Contributed by Amad Ahmed

Although the Speedo brand is relatively unconcerned about the elasticity of their swim briefs, high-testosterone teens are committed to exploring the nature of it. The subject of these experiments is usually an unworldly kid, dangling from the pegs of a P.E locker room in an atomic wedgie after swim class. This experience translates as an important life lesson, there is a heightened awareness of what’s expected and accepted in social circles. By being aware of the boundaries of certain circles, personality can be regulated to ensure we exist successfully in them. Having been chafed red for wearing Speedo’s, our unworldly n00b now knows that its better to retweet a Fernando Torres joke than one about how ‘real’ Khloe Kardashian is. This fictitious, well serving n00b has compromised his individuality by diluting it with the image his peers expect of him – spiked hair, cigarettes and trainers with air bubbles in them.

Whilst this all sits well in the peer-sanctioned groups of high school, its inherent limitations are realised when set against the diversity of a University campus. This ‘grey personality’ is paradoxically highlighted when set beside the colour of fellow students – those uninhibited in thought, opinion and experience. It is the colourful ones that find each other in niche fresher’s week societies; soft eye contact bringing couples together as they contest uninformed interpretations of Nietzsche. The Islamic Society is by far the funniest, with oddball liberalists quoting scholars to justify sitting next to a hotjabi in a segregated room. To this polished crowd, it takes more than a vague reference of Noam Chomsky to impress and a sense of not belonging creeps in, bringing out the nebbish that lingers in us all.

Having fallen short of hipster-y activism and realising that general knowledge is too general to be relied on, the highbrow circles are dismissed. This is where the Student Union Rave attracts its minority crowd, those that want the duel function of socialising with girls whilst maintaining the façade of intelligence. Though it may seem to be the case, the rave is not exclusive to attractive people – there are no regulations against acne or wimpy arms. The dark room is forgiving to the pale complexion achieved from scrolling 9gag posts all day and the random flashes of strobe lighting do little more than reveal homo sapien taxonomy. For those with an insipid disposition, 18” speakers boom out the latest MTV tripe, letting conversation to comfortably plateau at the lameness of Meg Griffin and the epic killing spree’s achieved playing COD.

As uninspired as guy talk may be, it’s the safe platform from which lecherous phoarr-ing and corr-ing can de indulged in. The crude, noncommittal nature of these remarks is employed because women at a rave are by default, cold and indifferent; a historian friend described it ‘as if she were Siberia and I, an exiled revolutionary’. If ‘porridge personality’ does manage to strike a conversation with Siberia, a broad and generic disposition is adopted; with conversation limited to how rubbish WhatsApp is and whether Cheryl Cole is getting too skinny. If inanity isn’t prevalent, rejection often follows –in an excruciatingly loud voice, echoed by a less attractive, more animated, somehow involved friend. Following the shameful walk back, Burnt Porridge has two options. The first is to stay and take pictures with platonic female friends, giving the impression of a fun night with hot chicks. Alternatively, he can come prepared for chit-chat with uninterested and uninteresting woman, hoarsely exchanging celebrity drivel picked up from last week’s Grazia.

As it is a primarily shallow environment, Porridge has to simply fit in and get by – the lessons learnt from the atomic wedgie are again relevant – the special snowflake must fall into a bed of superficiality. However, once a porridge persona has been adopted and accepted, approval from Siberia is transitory, effortless and essentially meaningless. Life gets tedious in this cycle of hackneyed relations and it is only when a woman of substance slips in that the snow globe of banality is shaken up and a journey of belated self-discovery begins. There’ll be no flirty cackling coming from her; her cheeks will glow in candlelit delight as she laughs at your Dumbledore impression. The University campus thrives on people leaving their comfort zones in the effort to be well-rounded individuals, but rave night success does little to get you there. If it’s not a social setting that that is natural to you it’ll require a one-dimensional commitment that comes at the price of other, more worthwhile ones. Time is better spent in the Philosophy society; even if your contributions don’t go beyond making jokes about Nietzsche being German with a moustache.

Contributed by Amad Ahmed

153 Responses to “On Chafed Oddballs, Siberian Socialites and Missed Opportunities”

1. I really enjoy simply reading all of your weblogs. Simply wanted to inform you that you have people like me who appreciate your work. Definitely a great post. https://archive.org/details/PregnancyMiracleBookB

Posted by Helen234 | October 9, 2014, 8:12 am
  2. Wow fantastic work you are doing for this website Thanks.

Posted by Stanley High School | October 11, 2014, 6:40 am
  3. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first”. http://www.thefashionlife.gr/search/label/%CE%91%

Posted by Tatiana35 | November 25, 2014, 12:14 pm
  4. I’ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Google. You have made my day!

Posted by www.nolimitly.com | December 14, 2014, 10:41 am
  5. Nice blog post, mate. This is really nice. You've shown your true self to us today and I think that side is bold. You should keep doing more blog posts like this. <a href="http://www.Hot-Prepper-Supplies.com” target=”_blank”>www.Hot-Prepper-Supplies.com

Posted by Andrew | January 6, 2015, 3:59 am
  6. Well this article that ive been waited for therefore long. i want this article to finish my assignment within the faculty, and it has same topic together with your article. Thanks, nice share.

Posted by Burge | January 8, 2015, 11:18 am
  7. Excellent post!! I have enjoyed reading this post and I must say that you've once again proved your worth as a writer. Keep it up, mate! Get here WhatsApp Spy application WhatsApp Spy App – Click Here to Visit & Download

Posted by Andrew | January 19, 2015, 1:04 pm
  8. answer tremendous trade opportunities

Posted by vimax | January 29, 2015, 12:20 am
  9. Excellent article posting has been done here today. This is exactly what I needed to read today. It's like you can read my mind and just post the thing that I really need. You and I click, mate!! How To Remove Sticker Residue

Posted by Andrew | January 30, 2015, 2:16 pm
  10. We are the FIRST HAND SUPLIER providing Wholesale Fashion Clothing for Men and Women as Shirt, Dress, Maxi Dress, Robe, Clothing, Fashion Korea and others – others. The quality of all the items we sell are guaranteed and the price we offer wholesale prices for retail purchase. baju korea wanita

Posted by Andrew | February 3, 2015, 1:08 pm
  11. I say many thanks for the info you provide to increase knowledge

Posted by vimax asli canada | March 3, 2015, 3:18 pm
  12. An article that is interesting to see

Posted by obat vimax | March 3, 2015, 3:21 pm
  13. Wow what a great effort you have show here very intresting post Thank you.

Posted by GED Online Diploma | March 4, 2015, 7:18 am
  14. This is remarkable work from you, mate. It truly is. I have always considered your work as top notch and you have never given me a reason not to consider it as top notch. I hope you continue this. Cheers! Zofran lawyer

Posted by andrew | March 13, 2015, 1:32 am
  15. After visiting various blogs to increase knowledge in managing the blog I finally found this blog to add to my knowledge.

Posted by cerita sex | March 29, 2015, 11:34 pm
  16. This fictitious, well serving n00b has compromised his individuality by diluting it with the image his peers expect of him – spiked hair, cigarettes and trainers with air bubbles in them.additional hints

Posted by @jackseo40 | April 15, 2015, 8:46 am
  17. This is some awesome article from you. Truly, one of the best articles that I've seen in a long time. Thanks a lot for producing this. Love your work! Monitor snapchat conversations http://snapchathackapp.com/

Posted by andrew | April 26, 2015, 3:45 pm
  18. by reading this article can add to my knowledge

Posted by vimax | May 5, 2015, 11:21 am
  19. i like for this info
    thanks

Posted by ponsel terbaru | May 13, 2015, 12:43 am
  20. ijppp

Posted by amazon.com | May 28, 2015, 9:04 am
  21. There’ll be no flirty cackling coming from her; her cheeks will glow in candlelit delight as she laughs at your Dumbledore impression.

Posted by Inside Out Online | May 31, 2015, 2:49 am
  22. . If it’s not a social setting that that is natural to you it’ll require a one-dimensional commitment that comes at the price of other.

Posted by Mad Max Fury Road | May 31, 2015, 2:50 am
  23. I found this much informative, as to what I was exactly searching for.

Posted by Unfriended Online | May 31, 2015, 2:51 am
  24. Find cell phone number location with this favorite software used by thousands of people worldwide. Best tracking with a GPS tools. Cryptography 100% secured advance system recovery tool. All rights have been reserved. Download for free today!

Posted by Get MobileTracker | June 10, 2015, 11:27 am
  25. Great read I had here. I recommend you using Kik messenger hack tool for your needs. You can easily use it to track your contact list messages for anyone you want. Download Kik Spy App – Click Here and make your mobile phone secured device which can be used to hack anything you want.

Posted by Paul Tito | June 20, 2015, 5:48 pm
  26. soft eye contact bringing couples together as they contest uninformed interpretations of Nietzsche.

Posted by movies online | August 6, 2015, 3:53 am
  27. I really Love This Post.. It is very informative and helpful…

Posted by Kamar Mandi | September 15, 2015, 12:21 pm
  28. The electronic keyless entry door lock offers every homeowner the chance to secure any door in the home very conveniently. They still have the regular key feature but the also have a lighted keypad that you can customize a combination into and use instead for unlocking the door.

Posted by keyless entry door | September 27, 2015, 2:13 pm
  29. The first is to stay and take pictures with platonic female friends, giving the impression of a fun night with hot chicks, Thank you guy

Posted by grosir jam tangan | October 2, 2015, 2:56 am
  30. i like it… thank

Posted by AGEN VIMAX SEMARANG | October 16, 2015, 3:05 am
  31. Idealna bohater literacki e-booka wolno calkiem bez trudnosci sobie przedstawic, zakladajac pewne pozadane cechy niektore z nich zostaly aktualnie w jakims stopniu zrealizowane. Optymalne wybieg techniczne powinno ujednolicac nastepujace cechy
    Oakley Frogskins – Solbriller med innfatning – Finn lavest pris, test og informasjon http://karenkintz.com/sunglasses01.php?product.php?p=426790

Posted by Oakley Frogskins - Solbriller med innfatning - Finn lavest pris, test og informasjon | October 29, 2015, 5:50 am
  32. Having a face full of acne is a real blow for you. You think of yourself as a hideous person. You need the best and fastest way to get rid of acne. Fortunately for you, we have the way. Just visit our website! used car from japan – Amazing info!You have understand many factors about this site Fake Food Thanks so much for good work

Posted by gscottpaterson | November 1, 2015, 4:28 am
  33. Amazing web journal. I delighted in perusing your articles. This is genuinely an incredible read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am anticipating perusing new articles. Japanese car exporter – A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.

Posted by gscottpaterson | November 1, 2015, 5:29 am
  34. Excellent article. The quality of this article is top notch. The information and the font, both are just amazing here. I hope that this kind of classy stuff keeps on coming this way. cheers!Japanese used car exporter. I have one thing to ask from you. Next time, please write an article on how to get rid of acne. I would really appreciate that.

Posted by gscottpaterson | November 1, 2015, 7:13 am
  35. Good article! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I'm wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. Japanese car exporter -Next time, please write an article on how to get rid of acne. I would really appreciate that.

Posted by gscottpaterson | November 1, 2015, 7:45 am
  36. Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting successJapanese used car auction I highly agree with what you are saying my good fellow. I had some trouble with coding and stuffs when I was new but in time I got better.

Posted by gscottpaterson | November 1, 2015, 9:40 am
  37. I needed to thank you for this sites! A debt of gratitude is in order regarding offering. Incredible sites! http://www.thefashionlife.gr/2014/12/tzin-pantelo

Posted by Eleni013 | November 11, 2015, 5:14 pm